Thread: Mystery misfire
View Single Post
Old 19th September 2014, 13:15
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Hi Robin

Have you checked all your engine electrical connections really carefully?

I don't know the M20 engine, but does it have an Idle Control Valve like the M50? If it idles OK the ICV is working, but when you accelerate you then rely on the MAF and TPS to tell the ECU what fuel to add. These, or the connection to these are therefore the likely culprits?

I had the same problem as yourself with my M50 going to Stoneleigh this year - I'd driven 80-90 miles, half of it on the motorway, then when I got onto some A roads it cut out above idle. I fiddled with the TPS and thought I'd cured it only for the problem to reappear 2 miles later.
Mine turned out to be a connection pushing through on the MAF connector (I'd obviously touched the MAF wires while fiddling with the TPS) - I know Ian says it should make no difference, but I am certain that was my issue as it has not reappeared since finding the problem and making a proper connection: a female in the MAF connector socket pushed out when the male was pushed in creating a tip to tip dodgy intermittent connection fault.

Out of interest I've read that a failed TPS should not cause the issue for the same reason Ian describes - it should revert back to closed loop and only result in less efficient fuel consumption but not a misfire.

Whatever your problem turns out to be, my money is on a dodgy electrical connection/component/wire somewhere.

I've just read the previous posts and I've obviously experienced the same problem as Peter having a dodgy MAF connection causing the problem - you might want to start there checking each wire very carefully - even for a broken wire?