View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:43
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashtun View Post
I hadn't noticed before that you're tight for space for a servo, but it's clear enough to see there. My Cabrio's like, for example, Simon's in that my servo's mounted directly on the bulkhead i.e. not on a protrusion as on yours. That means the available width on mine isn't reduced by the bonnet and the Sierra servo fits without any problem.
Hi Mashtun
How do you find your brakes with the standard Sierra servo?
Do you have drum or disc rear brakes?

I am aware that fitting a 200BHP engine means that if I want to use its performance I need brakes to match, and have been concerned from the outset about pedal pressure: particularly as I am now used to modern "over servoed" German performance.

I have fitted the larger Cosworth/Granada discs at the front, and have the Sierra discs at the rear, so I'm happy that the caliper capacity will be sufficient, but guess with the little Metro servo the pedal pressure is likely to be high? Patrick and Robin's comments about their brakes seem to support this.
There is of course more to it than just the servo boost - the bore of the master cylinder, and the mechanical advantage of the pedal arrangement are factors too.
Could I end up with too much boost? - I certainly felt my first Audi was over boosted - it took me ages to brake lightly they were so sensitive, but after 7-8 years I have become very accustomed to them.

I am still very tempted to explore this option, but others' views would be welcome.