Thread: Oh Fudge...
View Single Post
Old 11th February 2006, 17:41
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Oh Fudge...

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger!

I've been gradually stripping stuff off my donor car, in readiness for the big day when I hoick the engine out and get the running gear off.

Well, the engine was almost free (only held in by the mounts and the gearbox and exhaust). So I finally got round to trying to get the manifold and first section of the exhaust off.

The bolts (hah! I use the term loosely - blobs of corrosion is a better description) fought me at every turn. Most of them engine ones only came out with the studs, and some had to be ground-off before extracting the studs.

The blobs holding the exhaust to the manifold where even worse. So, I thought I'd take the same tack - grind them off and pull the studs. Big mistake. The studs seem to have merged with the manifold - they weren't budging at all. So I thought I'd drill them out, and retap. 6 busted drill bits later, I've got 3 almost drilled out, and one that has a drill bit well and truly lodged in the stud. I cant get the bugger out! It's wedged in so tight, and trying to drill out the drill bit is proving futile.

So it looks as if I've fubar'd it. Anybody know where I get a replacement?
Available from eBay