View Single Post
Old 27th February 2015, 22:20

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default A Lttle Quiz

Haven't achieved a lot today, found some plug leads locally from a Range Rover 3.9-4.2? which are all numbered wrong but fit anyway, half the R******s price.

I have also filled the gearbox with ATF and lifted the car up about three feet at the front to try to prime the gearbox oil pump on the LT77 gearbox. I am leaving it that way overnight.

This afternoon I called at one of my favourite car breakers. I wanted to check out exhaust systems for the Marlin.

I have considered posting the next bit in a separate thread, because it's right off topic, but I will keep it here for now...

While I was at the breakers looking at exhausts I noticed an odd car. At first I thought it was an MGB - GT the shape was right, a third door, swept lines and very similar front and rear wings, however it is far smaller than an MGB, more like a Midget for size. It has five stud wheels (missing) with very small studs, the PCD is quite large. Disk brakes at the front and drums at the back. I think the back axle is a simple 'live' axel, I think it has coil spring suspension at the back but not sure. The steering wheel is missing, as is the bonnet, the shell is extremely rusty but it has a CHASSIS! I have no idea what it is, I will describe a few other features, I though I should have taken a photograph of it but I was more interested in the exhausts at the time and two of the workers were making a real mess throwing water about, so I decided to make a break for it and left.

The dash has all the instruments in place, a round rev counter and matching speedo in front of the driver centred on the steering. There was a very rusty cast iron engine block, gearbox casing and clutch housing on the passenger seat. The block was three cylinders with quite large bores??? MAY not be related to the car... But there is no engine fitted to the car. The chassis seems solid from a very brief inspection. It seems to be quite thick metal like perhaps 4mm but quite shallow in section, say 60mm? what I could see of it. The rearmost members are waggon style rolled channel.

The headlamps are missing but the housings are sort of oval and sloping back at the top, perhaps similar to VW headlamps? There is a chrome handbrake at the passenger side of a rather large transmission tunnel.

I have no idea if there is a V5 for this car, I plan to ring them in the morning to find out, because it looks like a really good project for somebody. It would take my 'A' Series engine and gearbox perfectly.

I am kicking myself for not taking a few photo's but that's life. I may take another look at it on Monday if there is a V5.

Can anybody hazard a guess what it is? I think it's H registered, that is H *** ***.

# 2035

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 28th February 2015 at 06:53..