View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:04
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Hi Oxford 13/60, I'v still got the BMW 1.6 engine and gearbox under my bench if your interested??

Hi RochdaleGT, you should read the DVLA/VOSA web sites and other web sites to study the information regarding this sort of thing.

Basically VOSA say a car is made up of 6 major components each scoring pre-set points and to retain the original identity the car must "score" 8 of the 14 points ie; the original chassis and ANY two major components which will always score the 8 points needed.

Chassis =5 points
Axles =2 points.
Suspension =2 points.
Steering =2 points.
Transmission =2 points.
Engine =1 point.
Total 14 points.
Note-- the body panels and interior is not included it these figures

Where the BMW powered Sammio is concerned the chassis was not "modified" just a pair of 3mm plates welded onto the outside corner of the front outriggers. The engine was bolted to these and the gearbox mounted to the original gearbox mounting point.
Not really any different than replacing an original 4 cylinder 1300cc engine/gearbox with a straight 6 2000cc engine/gearbox.
The brakes were a simple up-grade using type 16 calipers as fitted to later Triumphs.

So the upgraded car scored 11 point of the 14 point available as the only original listed componets not used was the engine and transmission .
I notified DVLA of the engine details and changed in the V5 before I re-registered the Sammio.

When filled out, the V627/1 form will show all the correct details matching the V5 perfectly ie; chassis number, engine number, engine cc ect. Just how DVLA likes it !!!

Hope this clears things up

As far as the vehicle title goes I think that depends on who at DVLA is doing the paperwork and how the paperwork filled out.
I'v seen V5 with all manor of things such as TRIUMPH SPORTS, RE-BODIED TRIUMPH, TRIUMPH KIT CAR ect.
I once registered a hot rod as a HILLBILLY HOT ROD, it even said HILLBILLY on the tax disc

In my experience if a kit car is not registered correctly there's normally a good or bad reason why.
It's the old story every things OK until you have an accident and someone gets hurt, then the sh*t hits the fan. I'm sure Mr T will have some horror stories on that subject.