View Single Post
Old 14th August 2008, 09:06

Tim Russell is on a distinguished road
Question Clunk from rear suspension

I'm currently finishing off the build of my Edge Sportscars Devil and I have a problem.

On the rear right hand suspension we have an almighty clunk when we roll the car backwards or forwards. If I roll the car forwards, I hear the clunk once, and then not again until I roll the car backwards. Then once again I hear it once and then it's gone.

I have removed the driveshaft from the gearbox to eliminate that and the sound stays. I have placed my hand on several components around the rear suspension, and the clunk feels loudest (Yeah that is what i mean ) when I have my hand on the hub carrier.

Things I have done:

Remove complete suspension and place the hub carrier in the vice. I then used a bolt and bog washers to pre-load the bearing and checked for noises: Result none.

I have also remove the driveshaft with CV's (Non serviceable CV) and checked for free play / strange noises: result none.

Over the last few days I have had number of people round from the local kit car club and we are all stumped. There is no physical movement visable, but we do get a loud clunk.

Anyone here got any ideas?

Rear wheel bearing btw is a sealed Audi thing that is pushed into the housing and onto the drive flange with a press.
Available from eBay