View Single Post
Old 8th July 2012, 08:52

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Progress Report:
Not much progress this week as I've been tidying, cleaning & fixing things around the house.
But at least we are now ready for our visitors from Ireland & it will be good to see them later today.
I'll be off to the kitchen shortly to start preparing Sunday lunch (a man's work is never done ).

Even with my wife's help we couldn't move the Cordite body through the house into the back garden.
I was planning to store it there for a while so I could have more space to work on the donor.
But there was just no way of manoeuvring it through our internal doors & we scraped the wall.
If I need to, I can go through my neighbour's garden as they have the side access we don't.

Headlights:
I did get a chance to test my donor headlights and the good news is that they still work.
Note: The lights are just sitting on the ground, not fitted to a very narrow car.

The bad news is I'd completely forgotten that they don't include a side/parking light.
My Spitfire has a separate unit which combined side light with the front indicator.
So rather that reuse these as originally planned, I will replace them with these instead.

With the side light built in, it will keep the front of the car uncluttered.
I will also order 2 chrome headlight rims from Rimmer Bros (missing from donor).
Rimmer Bros will also be my source for the rear spring lowering block & long bolts.

Other Odds & Ends:
My donor came with just one ignition key, so I got a spare cut locally for £7.99.
The shop was very good as they had to order a "blank" in for me.
Can't imagine there is much demand for 30 year+ Triumph keys around here.

All my other shopping has arrived in the post & I have lots of nice thing to play with.
My neighbours have been very good at taking things in for me when I'm at work.

All my sold Ebay parts have now been collected.
I'm still waiting to hear if a previous Ebay buyer wants the new leather seat covers.
However I am being messed about by the one person I sent something do.
All my sales were listed as 'cash on collection' and I should have stuck to that.
Hopefully it will all get get sorted out next week (touch wood).

So just small steps, but at least they are in the right direction.

Hopefully there will be more to report next time, cheers, Paul.

Replies:
Pyscho Pops - Thanks for the tip, which is effectively my side light solution (see above).
I actually like the idea of a separate indicator, even if it has turned out a bit small.
Mister Towed - I'm trying to learn from other builds, so tips always welcome.
I was planning to keep the heater if only to help in the event of the engine overheating.
So I might get a Honda radiator & add an expansion tank (just need to research it more).

Last edited by Paul L; 10th September 2019 at 06:22..