View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:57

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T & Phil - Thanks gents.

I will definitely paint the car myself, as it is clear everyone else sees the overall car, not the small imperfections I am aware of.

In fact, I really can not believe the reaction I get when driving, as I appear to be spreading joy across parts of London.

But I will save the "On the road" thread until the racing numbers go on.

As it would be very tempting to keep driving it around in primer, just as it is.

Although I might make one of the plinths I designed for the passenger side mirror next.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday Morning:
Next upgrade…

Oooh Shiney.

Then, with rain forecast for the afternoon, I took my chances and headed out for a drive around 10.30am.

I managed to clock up just over 40 miles in around 2 hours, well I do live in London.

However, I followed one on my old cycling routes towards St.Albans which included some nice B roads.

Then I switched my flat cap for my Chinese open faced helmet…

(Forgive the gormless selfie, which was taken when I got home, but you get the idea.)

... and headed for the M1!

Where I finally managed to get into 4th gear and took the car up to 70mph, which was about 3,000 revs in 4th.

I did test the overdrive switch in 3rd earlier and that appeared to be working the first time I tried it.

Although it didn't seem to work in subsequent tests & made no difference whatsoever in 4th gear.
( So looking into that will be added to the "To Do" list. )

Anyway, back to the M1 where I was finding the experience required a high degree of concentration.

In fact, I would compare 70 on the M1 in the Swordfish to 140+ on track days on my Triumph superbike.

There was also a slightly surreal moment when a car passed me with the passenger hanging out the window filming me!

After I got back onto normal roads, the flat cap returned and I made a few stops to take some photos.

Spooky!
When I was driving to meet my mate on Thursday evening, I passed another friend on the way there.

We were going in opposite directions, but slow enough to spot each other, so we pulled up & had a brief chat.

He was on my list of people to visit at some point, as his son loves cars.
( Unfortunately, his son wasn't with him at the time. )

Well, who should I meet for the second time in two days and this time his son was there.

So more photos.

[Harry Hill] "What are the chances of that happening?" [/Harry Hill]

And Finally..
I was trying to think of another excuse to stop in Sainsburys on the way home, but felt a drop of rain.

So I headed straight back instead and the car was safely covered before the rain finally arrived.

Although I did spot a sheet of plastic melted to my exhaust pipe when fixing the cover straps.

So I'll have to scrap that off another day.

But until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
I'll leave you with this "Thought for the day"…