View Single Post
Old 7th July 2005, 11:14

Strolls is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New possible builder...?

I'm in a similar position to yourself - I've never built a kit car before and am very intrigued by the 5exi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed
I'm yet to visit the factory, which might well seal the deal if the demo cars are as good as I hope they'll be.
If & when you do visit the factory, ask some probing questions about the "build manual". Marlin's 5exi website is extremely slick and the kit seems to be targeted towards folks building their first kits, but the marketing doesn't mention that the "build manual" is just a bunch of digital photos on CD-ROM and a 4 page Word document.

I don't think this significantly affects my own enthusiasm for a 5exi, but I'm sure one of the independent reviews you can download from the 5exi site raves about the quality of the manual - if I'd paid good money for the kit and was surprised to find such limp documentation I'd be fuming about it.

I'm surprised this hasn't had more comment in these forums, but the more prospective customers who raise the matter with Marlin the more incentive they have to improve things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alackofspeed
In the meantime I'm trying to find info on the Civic Type-R builds ...The reason I'd like to go the type-r route is I'd prefer an NA car for track work, though I concede the vetec transition is vaguely analogous to a turbo kicking in, thus not quite as driveable as a "pure" NA engine.
I'm n00b, so everybody else probably knows about this, but can you tell me a little more about why you might choose the Type-R engine? I take it it's larger or more powerful than the conventionally-aspirated Rover engines?

Cheers,

Stroller.