View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:01

TynoPrime is on a distinguished road

I bought two wheels to trial - I knew these would definately be fine on the back (actually they're probably too narrow still) so I got the two for now, then I could try them on the front and see if they fit - then order the front two based on that knowledge.

So here are the wheels - 16x8 et -20 Japan Racing JR19's. I have bought a test tyre - a Michelin Primacy 3 in 225x60 so nice and big sidewall!

I pulled the car out of the garage and started playing around with heights etc, then took a bunch of photos I can spend the night photoshopping some ideas with

I knew I wanted some extra height on the back, as I much prefer the stance when the arse is lifted up - I feel like the body "squats" too much otherwise.

Ultimately, I'm in love with cars from the 60's - but taking the top spot for me is the Shelby Daytona -

So I want to add as much of the styling of that to my build as possible.

After playing around with photoshop and double checking measurements on the car it came down to the final design;

So there are some modifications to the fibreglass that are needed. Firstly - Ive always felt that the wheels people put on these are always really small, and the arches look too oversized for them most of the time. So I will be cutting the arches out to pretty much the mold line you can see on the rear arch - this works with the mx5 body behind the fibreglass, and the photoshop above shows the car correctly sized, with the wheel correctly sied on a 225x60 tyre (which is 676mm wide)

Secondly, I will be modifying the back end. Again, I love what some people have done with theirs, and Andreas's build was always my inspiration - however even his I feel the "arse" of the car looks abit low and abit BIG. So i'll be shortening the back end and making it more "vertical" - more like the Daytona.

The front will also be getting some modifications. Firstly, I will probably be losing the three vents in the front. I;m not 100% on this yet but I just feel they scream "ferrari", and I prefer the ones that don't have them such as Seanicks build.

In regards to the front grill opening, again I'm not a big fan of the circular cut out, I will likely do something more like the TVR Tuscan grill (in regards to shape)

Last edited by TynoPrime; 23rd April 2020 at 13:09..