View Single Post
Old 16th May 2016, 10:38

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Wow, a few days of "Interesting" updates missed!

But sticking on the build...

It's odd to hear about the issues you've been having with the frame and radiator as that is one part of the build that i was genuinely surprised at as i had bought a new Vitesse radiator and i was really chuffed to be able to leave it unmolested.

I can't imagine your frame and shell are 'that' much different to mine? So it might be worth having a dig through some of my old pics 'just in case'? I found these 2 that show how my frame ended up with all of my additional mods applied and when all in place and radiator at std location:

As far as the bonnet is concerned, i found that the shape was largely ok, but it was the bracing that fouled fitting it. here is how mine was delivered along with a small mod i made in order to try and get it to fit initially:

But i ended up grinding all of that bracing off in the end, fitting it, and then adding strengthening around the front end in order to keep the shape. In case it's of use/interest, this pic shows how much clearance i ended up with under there.

The doors... Mine came with the 2 halves bonded together and when the shell was all dry-fitted on the drive it all looked good, but from my experience the main tub jiggles slightly (technical term!) during fitting and that contributes to both the bonnet fitting issues and it also threw my doors out.

I did a lot of rework on the doors and they are on and functional, but i will revisit them at some point in the future as they're still not 100%

BTW I'd suggest leaving them hollow, as in addition to the ease of access to fittings they are also the perfect size to transport beer/cider!

Keep the pics coming matey and i can always share my experiences, even if you do end up going in a completely different direction to me. That's all part of the fun

Last edited by davecymru; 16th May 2016 at 10:40..