View Single Post
Old 17th June 2017, 21:45

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default part 4 some interior - I think

The interior is basically bmw and I have no plans to change anything more than I have to.

The door cards were recovered in a blue leather [whole hide from Martrim] by a small unit upholsterers in Baldock - AR Pound. The same hide was used for the rear 'well' behind the seats and to recover the steering wheel - by Jack at Royal Steering Wheels in Aylesbury.

The matt silver strip cleans up nicely with a gentle wire wool.

The windows are plastic from a firm 'up north' - I travelled up there with the doors and frames, was dealt with by an employee and promised they would check fit them and curve them as oem standard. When I returned weeks later, it was a major disappointment. The employee was absent, maybe discharged and the management were short of time because someone from Japan was demanding all their attention. They had not done what was agreed; they had curved them only in the vertical plane and blacked the 1/4 lights when I specified no blacking. No pleasure. Expensive, time consuming and unsatisfactory.

18 L door interior.jpg

In the door returns I have replaced the plastic trim with a stainless sheet and visible [security torx] screws and some rubber 'piping' comparable to the / some standard Ferraris.

16 R door return.jpg

The little trim around the internal door lock catch is a neat addition. Memory suggests they came from Germany, as a christmas present.

17 L door lock handle chrome.jpg

Dealing with the roof / ceiling is never easy because one really wants a fixed arrangement of good quality.

I 'discovered' that epoxy resin is especially good at waterproofing and stays tacky to the next day. epoxy can be a very strong glue, so I coated the roof, then next morning, stuck on dynamat extreme, followed by more epoxy and a sheet of CBS's lead foam sandwich.

I was able to persuade Chris to also make a 'copy grp sheet on the roof' which I could then section and cover - to fit inside as a proper headlining. A small loss of headroom is noticed. The material is Woolies best woollen headlining in a pale grey colour; it is also used to cover the strengthening frame, velcroed by sister in law Pat, with some foam underneath. Pleased with the result.

13 roof headlining.jpg

The door speakers can easily be cleaned and a quick spray of matt black rejuvenates them well.

36 L door speaker.jpg