Thread: CJ's Build
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2011, 17:26

cbjroms is on a distinguished road
Default CJ's Build

Having spent the past few months stripping the donor, selling-off unwanted parts, repairing both my chassis and front bulkhead I am now ready to start the build.

Here are a couple of shots of my bulkhead which is going to be painted tonight.
Nov5 034.jpg
Nov5 033.jpg

I have had all of my front/rear suspension components powder coated by a company called Trestans in Southampton. Here are just a few examples - I have about 3 boxes full of nice, clean and shiny parts. They look great and would you believe that it cost me only £90 to get it all done!
Nov5 029.jpg

I posted a few weeks ago about my repaired chassis when I saw someone on Triumph Torque being told that a chassis which had rot in its main rails should be scrapped. Got some reassuring comments on here from Davecymru & Mister Towed. Also talked to a local TR restorer who said that my repair is 'not pretty but neither does it lack strength". He suggested that I should drill a series of 3/8 along the bottom of the chassis (from rear outrigger back to start of boot outrigger) to let the air through and damp out.

Anyway whilst I was deliberating I came across a Triumph Herald chassis that has never seen the road and the metal work is as new. Secured it at a very fair price and it is now in the garage ready for my next Sammio build. But what is really ironic is that this chassis has had the boot outriggers and front bar ends removed as if it has been waiting for a Sammio body to come along. So when I build my 2nd Sammio I will, presumably, have to weld these extremities back to appease VOSA!

I have already got my frame but now need to get onto Gary and order the rest of the kit.

Chris
Available from eBay