View Single Post
Old 29th November 2017, 18:19

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

The front suspension has been fitted with some adjustable coilovers to get the height down ...The car has been lowered approx. 50mm front and rear now

I also made a start on the rear arch modifications , I was hoping to finish them today but the temperature suddenly dropped mid afternoon and it was only just starting to cure as I left around 6 ..so I didn't want to disturb it until tomorrow.

First job was to cut a radius around the wheel to create the roughed out round arch.....then I sliced the arch along the flash line on the top across the rear valance back to the arch and down its front edge between arch and door shut ...this allowed me to pull the wing out 35mm. That's the most I can get away with without compromising the shape ...luckily , its enough !

After pinning the pieces back together and checking the measurements again ...I bent a strip of aluminium about 4'' wide around the arch shape and blocked it away from the tyre using 25mm baton blocks to create a uniform shape around the tyre. When I was happy with the spacing , I parcel taped the aluminium in place with several layers and then taped over the wing splits as well ...

Car was put on stands and wheels removed ....

I than added red gel , paste and a couple of layers of matt ...I had to fibreglass upside down and blind as part of this process which is always a right ball ache to do ..but if there is any gaps left when the tape comes off , I can deal with them next time the body comes off as I am going to glass extra layers inside at that point as well..but hopefully its tagged and joined enough to hold it all together...

tomorrow the tape and splints will come off and I can see how successful todays exploits have been ...

The bonnet came back yesterday with the stretch done ...it fits very nicely (Thank you Chris ) and I started extending the lower wing sections today whilst the matt and resin was out too ...so hopefully , I can roll her out and take a few pics to see how she looks ...