View Single Post
Old 1st June 2019, 09:57
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Misc updates - part 1

So with the spring DIY jobs completed and the garden vegetables all planted I managed to find some decent time on the Sabre this week.
A somewhat random list of jobs completed...

First up I tackled the steering column stalk switches.
Wipers, Indicators, Hazard and Light switch adapter cables were labelled and re-terminated. I wasn't happy with the quality of the OB's crimps and I wasn't sure all the connections were correct so I cut them off and started again. If there are any problems I'm hoping it will be easier to troubleshoot with all the cables labelled with function and loom colour.

Wiring by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then installed the switches....

Moving on I then cut a hole for the BMW coil pack cable...

Taking a break from wiring and now the steering column is fitted I thought I would have a go at an initial setting up the steering alignment. I wanted to do this before any body panels are fitted. With my axle stands used up supporting the car using the axle stands and string was not an option.
So, here's my 'Heath Robinson' way. I strapped two 8 foot lengths of timber to the wheels with bungees. I then set the steering wheel to straight ahead and then aligned by eye the offside timber with the rear wheel. It was surprisingly easy to see very small changes looking down an 8 foot length. I then adjusted the nearside tie rod until the two lengths of timer was parallel. I also checked both timbers were parallel with the chassis rails. It may not be perfect but it will certainly be good enough until I can drive the car to have it set up professionally.

Steering alignment by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then checked the camber readings...

Camber - offside by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Camber - nearside by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Nearside camber reads half a degree negative. An internet search suggests the Sierra spec is 5 minutes positive to 55 minutes negative. So, half a degree appears to be spot on. Offside camber reads 0 degrees. So, within spec but about half a degree different to the nearside. The camber on the Sabre is not adjustable and I can't see any obvious reason for the difference. Maybe manufacturing tolerances of the chassis and upper wishbones?

I then installed the PAS reservoir and hoses......

PAS reservoir by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

.....and I started to connect up the heater hoses.

Heater plumbing by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

.....end of Part 1, part 2 to follow later........ (off to the St Albans' steam fair today)