View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:49

Marc F is on a distinguished road

So progress re-starts (where does the time go - wife, three kids, house, life...). Anyway, sourced some final bits and bobs for the engine and then looked at ancillaries. Found local places to clean my carb bodies and polish the manifold etc, and sorted out how to upgrade the ignition.

So dismantled the carbs - 30 year old fittings took some persuading, but got there. So this weekend will run the bodies etc down for tidying.

As that was happening I have sorted my workspace to allow me access - so moved ladder to ceiling (DIY job making a roller mount for it - idea from Web) and installed tool walls at side of car so I can mount my car tools in easy reach. All takes time away from spannering as my Stag friend keeps reminding me but I needed the space and can't bear being disorganised.

Long weekend ahead so will clean and repaint engine and components and look to the rebuild. I figure the shiny bits will take a week or so to be ready, so that will work out nicely, with aim to get the engine fired up for the first time in 30 years.

Once that happens (if...) then the chassis can be sorted out again. I have most of the bits so really its a clean and re-paint, and then rebuild the moving bits, before turning my thoughts to the supporting frame, which needs some radical reshaping. But that will be this winter's task no doubt.

Some big bills coming up, but hoping to manage the cash flow so that progress can continue. It has taken me a long time to get back to the car, and no doubt life will get in the way again, but for the summer ahead I hope to throw the hours at it, and see how it goes until the darker evenings kick in and sap my morale again...

The target is to get ready for body work prep for next Spring, so that I can take it outside and reduce the dust and mess in the garage. And hopefully by then my finances will bear the strain again.

Oh, and oils - I went for the running in oil that Paddocks sells. After that, who knows, but the next oil change seems a long way off yet (sadly).