Thread: wiring madness
View Single Post
Old 29th April 2005, 16:34
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default wiring system

Hi Mike, The donor you are using makes your situation a little different to mine. I have used the donor loom and then interfaced the engine management system from another vehicle (800 vitesse turbo). I think yours will be slightly easier, with carefull planning. The loom that Marlin supply does not include immobiliser or engine management system wiring anyway so that job would still have to be done regardless. I f you think about the rest of the wiring on the car all you need is lights, dash, heater,horn,wipers etc. The donor you have will probably require the removal of many items not required. It is your decision what you chop out and what you leave. When I stripped my donor loom out of the car I meticulously labelled what every plug went to so I could deal with it when needed. It took about 4-6 hours work stripping back all the harness tape and following unwanted wiring back to it's source and removing. If you concentrate on everything except the engine management system most of the components that are in the donor are in the same place on the kit (front lights,rear lights, column switches, dash, heater etc). The odd item that needs modifying are fuel tank electrics and engine wiring. It is a painstaking job sorting out the donor loom but for say 6 hours work a saving of £160, and there will be less connections due to manufacturer plugs staying on. The immobiliser on your model must be left in place or it will never go. Where the engine management loom interfaces with the cars wiring loom is what will need extending (probably only 4/5 wires at most). hth. Brian.