View Single Post
Old 15th July 2018, 21:28

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

So I am back on with the build. The wheel arches. This part has troubled me for some time and I have been putting off doing anything about it.

I knew right from the start that Mike intend the design of the Alpha to use 14" wheels with 80 profile tires.

I personal felt that this seemed to big for the Spitfire wheel base. I also thought about lowering the suspension. But in Pudsey we have many potholes along with traffic calming which is similar to sleeping policemen but I would describe as high pillows of tarmac in the middle of the road that has no mercy on any lowered car.

So I spent the whole month at work doing research and designs looking at every Spitfire and wheel combination I could find on the internet and driving my Norwegian colleague mad.

I then decided to look at the forum The sammio spyders and then the Sammio Cordite. I decided that the 14 and 15 suited the sammio spyder well but Whardales and Paul L car looked good on the 13".

But how was I going to change my arches to suit 13" wheels.

Thats when Jan said I have had enough and went to great detain in showing me how to do mockups of wings arches and bonnet scoups. In his earlier days he was into hot rods in Norway but now builds and reburish boats wooden and fiberglass. So I was on to a new project the arches.

I needed to make sure if I was going to do any changes they had to be as good as what I started out with. The rear arches on the Alpha where perfectly round and evenly gaped all the way around