View Single Post
Old 15th March 2004, 00:27
Kit Car Dreamer

Alfalfameister is on a distinguished road

First of all, my sincere thanks to all the replies. They have been helpful, and have given me a lot of insight.

A different looking body on a Locost type chassis is perhaps the best approach for me right now. The only reason the Sevenesque type body doesn't appeal to me that much (because it still DOES appeal to me) is that:

Here in the Philippines, we don't see too many of that type of car (in fact, there are none). That's not to say that I don't want my car to be different, though. But it's just too... er... boxy and...British (heh heh. NO OFFENSE of course to the Brits).

I really like what I saw in Fisher Fury, and Stuart Taylor, and the SSC... THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL BEASTS INDEED!!!

(And those ULTIMA cars are drop-dead gorgeous!)

But the costs are, well, for someone in this country, way too much. If you were to calculate using Minimum Wage Salaries, if a guy were to spend on nothing else (food, clothing, shelter), it would take him 27 years to pay for the SSC. While I'm not a minimum wage worker, that is still out of my price range.

Which is why I'm waiting for Ron's book, because trying to fabricate as much as possible here is my only option.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, labor is v.cheap here, so asking fiberglass craftsman, welders, etc to do the work while I supervise them is something well within the realm of possibility.

In fact, a business idea comes to mind (this is already OFF TOPIC):

Companies like that should just come here with their technicians/designers and have kits manufactured here instead. Filipinos speak good english, so communication won't be a big problem, and labor (while not as cheap as mainland china or vietnam) is still very cheap.

I would daresay that a company like Westfield/Fisher/GD Cars etc could send their people here, manufacture the stuff here (even assemble it here) and re-export it back to the UK and make it come out cheaper.

Anyway, back to topic, my thanks again to the replies here.

I am currently waiting for Ron Champion's book, and I'll probably order that Locost CD-ROM (forget what it is right now) for UK 15 or something.

--Alf