View Single Post
Old 9th April 2015, 21:47

swifty is on a distinguished road

A little more progress made, finished the battery clamp made from 1.5mm stainless.

IMG_5260.jpg

Finished the screen mount machined on the cnc mill out of 1.5mm ally sheet, similar to what is fitted on the old Ferrari's. To make it easier to shape to the curves of the body i've annealed the ally to make it act like putty (very easy to bend in your fingers) this was done after the profile was milled. The annealing is easy to do with an acetylene torch first light the acetylene to give a sooty flame don't use the oxygen just yet, run the sooty flame over the ally surface covering in soot but not too thick as it takes longer to burn off now turn on the oxygen to give a blue flame and run this over the sooty surface about six inches off and don't stop the flame moving as the ally will melt very quickly, once the soot has burned off the ally will be at the correct temperature for annealing which i believe to be 700 degrees which is virtually the temperature ally melts, then leave to cool to room temperature don't quench as you will undo the annealing process.

IMG_5263.jpg

Machined lugs evenly spaced to bolt the screen to the mount. Made in two halves joining in the middle to make it easier to work with when shaping to the body.

IMG_5267.jpg

Jig made to curve and bend the trim or at least i hope it will.

IMG_5261.jpg

Mold made for the dashboard from oasis.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 10th April 2015 at 18:34..