View Single Post
Old 5th January 2014, 09:39
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Oh, have faith, ye of, um, little faith.

The chassis/diff/brakes can stand an awful lot more power than Triumph intended so long as they're in tip top condition.

I can't see a problem with using a more powerful, modern motor, even if it is sacrilege.
Well said Mr Towed

Now to argue a few points

The engine details will be in the V5 before the DVLA inspection, so the numbers will tally. Even if they argue the engine and gearbox only add up to 3 points giving me a total of 11 points well over the 8 point required to keep the original registration.

Even thought extra engine mounts have been welded in the main chassis remains unaltered. I do intend to install a brace between the suspension towers similar to the one used on the Scimitar GTE

The front suspension is very similar to the wish bone set-up used on a lot of kit cars, track car and even hot rods who have a great deal more power installed.

The engine/gearbox is about 150lbs lighter than the six pot so when built the car should weight some where between 500 and 600kg, about half the weight of a standard Triumph, taking much stress off the chassis and with the up-grade (type 16 callipers and servo) the braking will be much improved .

The rear suspension is another thing, but again it only has to cope with half the weight.
This car has a kind of roll bar fitted across the rear hubs to prevent the hubs "turning in" but I might reverse the leaf spring as per the Triumph racers of the day or maybe fit the coil-over conversion.

The diff is really quite strong and with the car being so light my theory is all the extra power will be lost at the weakest point ie; between the tyres and the tarmac, again the weight of the car will help.
If all goes wrong I'll replace the diff at a later date, maybe fit a BMW LSD but only after the DVLA inspection.

This car should be blisteringly fast but only if the driver can apply the power against the weight, just like racing drivers have to.
It should be fun to drive but a real handful in the wet

All that said these cars are well over due an up-grade, after all it is 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.