View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochdaleGT View Post
nope-its exactly the opposite: a car named as triumph herald is contra-productive, as the car isnt a herald anymore. or does a sammio look like a herald?

if its named triumph-sammio, that would be perfect...as its clearly identifyable that its a triumph base/chassis which has been re-bodied.
I think RochdaleGT makes an extremely valid point here - I've lost count of the times this very issue has been a real problem for me when I'm out and about driving my Sammio Spyder.

Indeed, in this picture, what the camera failed to capture was that when we left the Italian car gathering, this angry mob were all chanting over and over again as one:

"OY! THE VEHICLE YOU ARE DRIVING CLEARLY PURPORTS TO BE THE 162MPH, 1953 LANCIA D24 RACING CAR THAT WAS VICTORIOUS IN THE 1954 MILLE MIGLIA, PILOTED BY ALBERTO ASCARI, WHICH COMPLETED THE 1,000 MILES IN A REMARKABLE TIME OF JUST ELEVEN HOURS, TWENTY-SIX MINUTES AND TEN SECONDS AT AN AVERAGE SPEED OF 88.5MPH, MORE THAN THIRTY MINUTES AHEAD OF SECOND PLACED VITTORIO MARZOTTO IN A SCUDERIA FERRARI 500 MONDIAL, BUT WE'VE SEEN THE V5 AND IT SAYS THAT IT IS, IN FACT, A SAMMIO SPYDER, WHATEVER THAT IS, SO WE FEEL CONFUSED AND ANGRY AT THE CLEAR DECEPTION WE HAVE BEEN SUBJECTED TO!

WHAT DO WE WANT?

A DETAILED EXPLANATION OF THE LEGISLATION GOVERNING REGISTRATION OF REBODIED CLASSIC CARS ACROSS ALL SOVEREIGN STATES OF THE UNITED NATIONS!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?

NOW!"

We had to make off at speed and were lucky to escape with our lives as the mob gathered pitchforks and blazing torches and began to march on us.

And it's an issue that doesn't just plague the UK, but is repeated on a daily basis across the known world. In this picture you can see two members of the advanced guard of another angry mob who have discovered that the vehicle documentation relating to this Tribute 250 SWB doesn't accurately reflect the appearance or true origins of the vehicle. The picture also doesn't show the enormous angry crowd gathered just out of shot, who are all chanting something similar to the above, but in a combination of French, German and Italian as it's clearly somewhere in The Alps, or Johnny Foreigner Land as it's known in the UK.

Oh, and as an edit, I've just noticed the other three people in shot who are so angry at the deception that they've turned their backs on the car and are pissing in the gutter in disgust.

So, RochdaleGT makes some very valid points. How do we address the serious issue of there being some slight ambiguity in the regulations as applied in the UK and abroad? Will we ever be able to drive our cars in safety again? Only time will tell...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 3rd February 2017 at 07:13..