View Single Post
Old 20th November 2017, 15:04

JoeB is on a distinguished road

Thanks Geoff,

At first it was a little complicated as trying to work out how I'd fit all the components into the housing (motors, leds, needles, etc) was a bit tough although once I'd figured out how the dials would be assembled and fitted it was quite simple. Making some more would be easier as now I know what works and what doesn't!

The Odometer itself is actually a socket! The circuit board has an integrated plug and the two fit together. What is a little strange is the light that is housed in the odometer is not on a plug and permanently attached to the circuit board. This prevents the odometer and the circuit board from coming apart and makes me wonder why have it on a plug and socket if you cannot remove it without and soldering iron?!

I have un-soldered the plug on the circuit board anyway so I can place the odometer wherever I choose.

Geoff your build has inspired the majority of the things I have undertaken in my own build, including the idea of hybrid dials!

Speaking of the dials, this is what I have come up with so far....

Checking the dials for fit in the dashboard (Dial face is just a rough version to check sizing)

Once I knew the dials would fit it allowed me to see exactly how much space I had left in the centre for the odometer and warning lights. This is what I came up with at first...

This was a mock up of how I would've liked it to look however this didn't really work for me in the end as I couldn't get everything straightened up or get it to look 'right'. Plus I had to think of a way of getting the warning lights to work.

I decided to make up a sort of binnacle to house the odometer and warning lights as it looked neater and better when next to the dials.

Finally, I took some inspiration from the modern types of gauges you see with blank faces until they light up with ignition. (Defi Gauges) I wanted this type of effect with the odometer and warning lights.

This is achieved using a 30% tint film on the acrylic so that the odometer and warning lights can only be seen when they are on.

Last edited by JoeB; 20th November 2017 at 15:10..