View Single Post
Old 25th January 2018, 09:02

Ambitious_TAS is on a distinguished road
Default What constitutes 'structural modification' for IVA purposes?

Wow, that's a lot of replies! Fantastic!

I'm put off using an older donor for a number of reasons, not least that the older cars are more likely to have complex corrosion issues in the tub and be needing a ground-up restoration of the running gear. I've previously owned both MX5's and an MGB (the latter consuming much of my time and spare cash just to keep running!), and the quality and handling of the Mazda is what I want - it's a brilliant car and a great basis for the build as many have shown. The MX will probably need some corrosion treatment in the sills but it's well documented and the build quality is high; I am working on the basis that the running gear (the powerplant frame) will not need much work at all, hence I can get the car built fairly quickly. I can work with the modern plates; it's not the end of the world.

The Locost approach is worth a look, I'll see what is available. However, I would have reservations about using a kit - who knows how well or how badly it's been assembled, and I'd be pushing my limits on recognising a good job over a bad one. I've done a brief online search (never authoritative) and finished kit cars seem to attract a relatively high price as well, more so than a shabby MX5 and perhaps closer to a bespoke spaceframe. Can anyone point me towards an example of something that would, for example, be suitable to sit under a Replicar-type body? It would definitely need the Mazda's wheelbase (2265mm), track width (1415mm) and seating position.

This thread has really helped me to understand what I think is my fundamental question - what constitutes 'structural modification' in regards of an IVA? If anyone can point me to a definitive link (it's not defined in the IVA manual), I would be most grateful. I suppose that in the long run, if I did go with the MX5 rebody, then an IVA is probably manageable.

Just a quick note - those of you building the cars out there, you are all a real inspiration and your build logs make for great reading - thank you!