View Single Post
Old 19th September 2012, 14:26

andrewhush is on a distinguished road

My approach to building this car is to try and maximise space within the body for luggage. The scimitar grp floorpan has various humps and bumps which rise above the chassis to retain the rear seats and raise the front ones. Also space is wasted at the sides behind the trim panels. I am going to start with a flat floor (might put dropped footwells in later) followed by the rear wheelarches cut from the scimitar and add bulkheads, tunnel and bellhousing cover next. Once all that lot is bonded in I will give it a skin of resin and fibreglass matting and remove the body to do the same underneath. Then the body will go back on and I will move the sides back. After that will be making up the frames to give strong point for the steering column, dashboard, door hinges and locks, seatbelts, windscreen and hood frame.

Here are some more pics to show where I am up to.

Main floor (right hand side)

Left side in place

Both sides

Right rear arch in approx position.

bonding paste applied along side of floor. Grp roughened first with angle grinder/twisted wire brush first.

rear support removed after paste set

replacement struts to allow access to fit rear boot floor. These struts have a 5/8th hole in their lower end which fits over the upper tie rod bolt end with a ply square spreading the load at their upper end

Last edited by andrewhush; 19th September 2012 at 14:47..