View Single Post
Old 1st November 2018, 07:20

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Be good to see another build thread on here Wozzy.

I’ve bolted my clam down but also made the rear screen removable (as you did on your first build). To be honest, the clam is so heavy it’s not really practical to lift it on and off for easy access to the engine bay (e.g checking oil levels, getting to the battery) so the rear screen coming out on DZUS fasteners is a godsend as I’ve been progressing the build. I was planning on going back and hinging the clam but I’m not sure I will. I’ll only really be doing it for authenticity, and I’ve already fitted the petrol flap for fuelling.

Your new build sounds interesting ... presume this is another MR2 base car you’ve got rather than the 2ZZ engined car you picked up with the kit from Badrep?

I’ve thought about what I’d do if I was building again. The doors are the real give away in terms of originality and a pain in the rear to fit. I did look at options to mould an MR2 inner door to the outer skin and do away completely with the MR2 door. That would also mean doing away with the hard top and using a roll cage with a modified central tub from one of the other panel suppliers (EVO or you can still get panels from Global as I understand) to get the door jam and have any chance of making it watertight. I think in practice that’s a step too far.

What I’m still working on alongside finishing the build is trying to mock up a replica dash that fits over/blends with the major components of the MR2 dash. Interestingly, a set of RS200 replica dashboard moulds have just come up on eBay and they look in very good condition.

Maybe all us MRS200 builders should club together and buy them, or club together with Dan the new owner of the kit moulds??