View Single Post
Old 24th December 2018, 00:05

deni is on a distinguished road

I painted the bulkhead to make it a bit smoother and applied a release agent to be able to peel off the copy when it is cured.

IMG_1492_1024.jpg

I started with the top part. I was happy with my very first fibreglassing attempt.

IMG_1505_1024.jpg

Again, not the best looking copy but it is very strong and very light.

IMG_1518_1024.jpg

Next time I did the bottom bits and these turned out even better as I had learned from the mistakes doing the top bit. They were also a bit easier to do to be fair.
I have improved the top bit further by applying a couple more layers of CSM, so it looks much smoother. Unfortunately I forgot to make a photo of the finished product.

IMG_1513_1024.jpg

IMG_1517_1024.jpg

Obviously I was planning to use these, as this would mean less welding, less weight and would give a good reference for the possible position of the pedals.

However, later on my mate Johnny dropped the bomb shell... and said that it would be illegal to use fibreglass for the bulkhead and the car would not pass its MOT if I didn't use metal to make the bulkhead.

Needless to say I was a bit disappointed, as I had allowed 1 week of resin curing time for each part before peeling it off, so if this is true I have lost this time.

I have called a few MOT stations to check this, and of course they suggested to use steel, but none of them were 100% sure if fibreglass was illegal.

I would appreciate it if anybody can offer any advice regarding this as I have seen in a couple of forums that some builders used fibreglass bulkheads too and the original kit used to be supplied with a fibreglass bulkhead, so I assumed it was ok.

So much for now. I wish everyone a very happy Christmas and New Year.

Cheers, D.