Thread: Mystery misfire
View Single Post
Old 20th September 2014, 08:01
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I think the clue is that it seems to happen once the engine is warm, and then when it has been idling for several minutes. (The engine temperature is rock steady at about 90 according to the gauge.)

I would still like to track down a tool for the diagnostic port to see if that tells me anything. I have also ordered a cheepo fuel pressure gauge. If the pressure regulator is on the blink that should show something.

The only other thing I can think of is the low pressure pump - but that is by the tank so I don't see why that would be affected by a period of idling.

Cheers, Robin
Hi Robin,
I've been pondering your engine problem and the symptoms do suggest 'heat soak' causing an intermittent connection or component failure, which 'fixes' itself when it cools down.
I agree the coil could be a candidate as it sits behind the radiator in the Sportster. (I know I had a spare but I haven't seen it since moving house so it may be in my lock up?)
Other possibilities are the crankshaft position sensor (I think I sold my spare, but I'll have a look?), Ignition lead sensor(I've definitely got one of those that you can have), Fuel pump relay?
You could try the old 'hairdryer' trick on the smaller components to try and induce the fault or maybe a can of freezer spray once you've created the fault.(This might be worth trying on the coil).

On fault code readers, the only one I am aware of is by Peake Research. But the early Motronic DME's had a very limited list of fault codes and even the manufacturers warn that the fault codes can be misleading.

I'm probably going over to my lock-up sometime next week so i'll see if I can find anything useful.

...peter