View Single Post
Old 29th November 2018, 17:20

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the kind words Welshkiwi. I know what you mean about engineering vs bodywork and GRP. Engineering is pretty binary in so far as it works or it doesn’t. Bodywork is much more of a black art! I’m following your 275GTB build with great interest.

I got out to the garage this afternoon to bond the passenger door on. Those who’ve followed my build thread so far will be familiar with my comments on the passenger side of the kit being the ugly sister to the drivers side. I jest of course, but there are a number of places particularly the door skin and sills where things just don’t line up so well.

I need to see what it looks like once the bonding sealant/adhesive dries overnight. It’s lined up as well as it can be, but I know I may need to so some trimming back of the trailing edge of the door tomorrow.

Before I started on the passenger door I took the clamps off the drivers door, and I was really pleased with the outcome. Overall no dropping and apart from an area in the lower rear of the door it’s all pretty straight. I used adjustable brackets to support the outer door skin where it was cut away at the base of the MR2 door specifically so I could go back later and make some finer adjustments of the outer skin. Will look at that tomorrow or over the weekend, but with the side window, mirror and door rubbers back in it feels really solid, closes smoothly and apart from a rubber door stop needed in the top rear corner it’s nearly there now.