View Single Post
Old 28th March 2005, 07:03
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Possible EXi

Hi Ross,

You are not alone in building your first kit car, from reading the posts on here I would say it's a 50 50 split on the current builders.

Sounds like you have come to the same conclusion, good looking car combined with the Marlin reputation.

Being a kit you do what you want, when you want. Most of us are desperate to get the car on the road so needed the donor from the outset. Coming to think of it I would suggest you get at least the running gear ready for the chassis.

The three stage build can not really be completed before the donor, it's not a matter of building the outer and then adding the innards.

On the matter of Insurance, it depends on many factors but I can only tell you my own. I telephoned one of the big kit car insurers and gave my details and the fact that my 20 year old son would be a named driver. I was advised that they would only insure in my sons name with me as a named driver. Martin drives a 3 year old Seicento and pays a grand a year for the privilage.

I was delighted when the insurers came up with £450.00 for the 1.6 EXi. So why are we doing the 2 litre turbo? Well thats only £500.00.

Not bad for a stylish sports car, with some oomph.

Lights and brakes, brakes from the donor and lights are supplied by Marlin or you can outsource them. I have gone for silver 'angel eyes' a little expensive but it's a kit, it's up to me.

Safety, yes the panels are all GRP but take a look at the chassis, it's strong and sturdy. I drive a Zafira but would rather face an impact in the EXi.

As for driving the car, so far I have managed 50 yards and that was such a thrill. Everyone tells me that providing you have been thorough wilth the build and checked and rechecked everything and it's a dry day I should be able to keep the car in a straight line. No seriously the drive is supposed to be as good as the looks.

Good luck and welcome aboard, you will find many other people on this site who can advise and assist with your build.

One question from me, where are you in the country? I am in Romford Essex.

Regards Trev