View Single Post
  #2  
Old 8th May 2020, 10:30
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,457
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Default

Next up, need something too close the opening up again. This is a fresh sheet of 2mm aluminium – just about managed to cut it with the sheer. I tried some test cuts with the angle grinder using a disk specifically for aluminium. It works fine but it leaves a rolled over flashing that takes quite a bit of clean up. The cut with the sheer is clean. It can add some light bends to the metal but those are not too bad to get out.





Square hole for the lock.





I got a new hinge, the brass one that I was using for mockup was too bulky (It was originally for the bonnet before I replace with stainless during the original build).



The wood floor is not thick enough to use wood screws to hold in the hinge, due to not being able to go buy stuff I custom made some ‘t nuts’ from some metal flat bar fixings I had in the parts bin. Drilled holes and tapped them for some M4 screws. Then used the router to add some recesses in the bottom of the floor.





I’ve also had a roll of carpet / speaker cloth sitting on top of a cupboard for ages, time to apply it to all the parts! Used impact spray glue. A bit of WD40 in a cloth is an easy way to get rid of overspray.







For the lid I’ve only applied carpet to one side, the intension is to add a brushed finish on the inside.



Luckily I had a tin of varnish in the cupboard to seal up the boot floor, gives it a fancy shade of oak for when I next look at the car from underneath – plus it give the MOT tester something nice too look at







Added a block to the top side – this will be for mounting the sheet metal at the bottom. Cut the carpet around it, the only visible side is shown in this shot so I made sure the carpet covers it.



I think these brackets are from Ikea furniture, they were in the parts bin, combined them with some captive nuts.



Brackets in place holding the bottom of the sheet metal.







Here it is with everything in place, the inside of the lid still has the protective sheet on it, that’s something I’ll look at later.











Ordered some new stainless cup washers and bolts to match



I plan to add more panels inside the boot to stop small items disappearing and closing up more gaps where exhaust gas could come in.
Reply With Quote