View Single Post
Old 4th October 2014, 16:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - Cheers.
I'm hoping the dash will really look the part when all the dials & switches are in place.

Dave - Well I have stolen more than my fair share of ideas from other builds.
I'm just glad that my decision to use an old Spitfire bulkhead has worked out so well.
Especially as I was effectively making it all up as I went along.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just too many other things going on at the moment to get any sort of time on the car.

Boot Lid Prep.
I had to remove the masking tape acting as my boot lid guide in order to take the DVLA photos.

So I re-measured the distance from the rear cockpit lip & marked it up in one inch steps.

As it has dawned on me that I need to really check how the cut will work or I am going to make a mess of it.

Going back to previous photos, the general idea is something like this.

I had left a gap in the fixing brackets to allow for a "straight" cut between the humps.

But the humps will actually be cut at an angle, again something like this.

So I need to make sure that when I mark out and cut this angle that it will clear the "tops" of the fixing brackets.

In addition, the rain channel needs to finish in front of the cross bracing I've already added.

So I am going to take my time and make absolutely sure I am cutting in the right place before I start.

More Double Checking:
While the body shell is still fitted, I had a quick check on where I had put the rope on the rear edge.

Not a great photo, but you can see the Spitfire boot floor is at a much higher position, so there will be no clearance issues.

So the next time the body shell is off I can get on with adding some matting over the top of the rope.

Note: The boot lid will also provide access fibreglass the boot floor to the body shell after it has been bonded into place.

That's all for now and I know it isn't much.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
My mum's friend really liked the car when he came around to see it yesterday.
He couldn't believe how much work I have already had done, or for that matter, the amount of work I still have left to do!