View Single Post
Old 17th November 2013, 11:07

Down&Out is on a distinguished road
Default Help me think up a base car?

Hi folks,

Things are whirling round in my head for a build. Im wanting to build a beautiful sports car. Semi replica if you like, similar to what tribute automotive did with the tvr wedge.

I would in fact be happy to build a GTO copy on a wedge chassis. The plans i formulated in my head were a wedge, with a straight 6 fitted, and a 250 body.
TVR tasmins are fairly easy to find, not too expensive to buy and i could make a lot of the purchase price back by selling the parts i dont use.

Only thing is, i'd really like it to be tax exempt, and as the tasmins are 1980 onwards, they wouldnt be. Theyre likely to be £220+ a year to tax so if i can find a pre 74 donor that would be incredible.

I want at least the wheelbase to be correct, which i assume is why the wedge was chosen for tribute's build in the first place. The wedge has a wheelbase of 2400mm (94.5"), which is exactly the same as a proper 250gto.

I did research the idea of using a vitesse chassis, because theyre tax free, already have a straight 6, but theyre too short, and would need lengthening a hell of a lot (about 44cm), which they would definitely notice during a rebody inspection.

Then i sought out the earlier models of TVRs, namely M series because its the precursor to the wedge. They came with the 2500 L6 out of the TR6, but despite some being tax free they are A) horrendously expensive, and B) too short in the wheelbase.

So this leaves me stuck. The wedge idea with the 250 body is still a goer and will probably happen if i cant find another donor. But if someone can think up a pre '74 car that has a 2400mm wheelbase, a chassis and scope to fit a straight 6, im all ears.

Just thought i'd ask before i start to commit to the idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!

D&O
Available from eBay