View Single Post
Old 17th July 2019, 08:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Friday
Wanted to make a quick trip shopping trip to Greenford.

But this ended up being a traffic jammed nightmare in both directions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday
In a rare moment of clarity…

It dawned on me not to look at the fuel gauge problem with a full tank of petrol.

So with a few miles racked up, it was now safe to remove the rear cockpit wall access panel.

But before I removed the fuel gauge sender itself, I checked the fuel gauge with the car on my sloping driveway.

Then I marked up the high and low points of the float.

Plan A
This was to 'somehow' switch the float over to the left hand side.

But it quickly became apparent that the sensors would only work with the float on the right.

Plan B
Put a kink in the wire and switch the float to face inwards.
( Where it previously faced the other way. )

But it seemed that this approach made the wire itself foul the fuel pipe.

Plan C
Make the kink in the wire inwards and put the float in the original outward position.
( Remember that the new float was slightly longer than the old one. )

Note:
I used the markings on the cardboard to make use the float was still hitting the right high and low levels.

With the sender unit refitted, I tested the fuel gauge again and the reading was slightly higher.

But just in case there was still a problem, I only used a few screws to hold the access panel in place.

I then headed to the petrol station to see what impact filling up would have, and…

Success!

Note:
Ever since the tank was re-positioned in the original Cordite framework, the gauge never shows fully full.

So that will certainly do for now and when I got home I fixed the access panel properly.

End of Part 1…