Thread: Sportster Seats
View Single Post
Old 16th March 2014, 12:07

morris is on a distinguished road

Morning all,

I just wanted to check what people's thoughts are on seat load spreading plates/bars. I've noticed a number of other builders have put a piece of steel box section or flat bar under the mounting holes on their seats which is then attached to the floor pan flanges on the chassis. I'd assumed this was a mandatory thing for IVA to show the seats were secure in the event of an accident. When you think about it the person is the thing that will carry all the momentum hence the strict requirements on seat belt mounting points, not the seat which is relatively light. If the seat belt is fixed to the seat as in production cars it makes perfect sense but not if it's only attached to the chassis.

If you look at section 15 (Seat strength) of the IVA manual it says

" RS - 1. Every seat must be securely attached to the vehicle structure, or other obvious suitable load bearing parts of the vehicle (see notes 1, 2, and 3).

Note 1: If attached to a non-metallic floor pan separate from the chassis, adequate support to spread the load of the anchorage is required, eg spreader plates/stiffening ribs etc.

Note 2: In respect of a seat that comprises of a “lift-out” backrest and/or squab it will be considered secure providing, when in the operational position, it is located such that there is no possibility of accidental lateral or longitudinal movement within the vehicle whether it is in use or not.

Note 3: On a seat to which a seat belt is mounted (integral seat belt) consideration must be given to the seat mounting as part of the seat belt anchorage. "

I read that to mean that as I have a metallic floor pan and the seat doesn't form part of the belt mount, just a high tensile M12 with some decent size washers will qualify?

The only other reason I can see for adding in extra bars is if the floor feels flexible (which it doesn't seem to for me).

Have I missed something?