View Single Post
Old 12th July 2018, 11:22

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

Back to the Bonnet. I used up too much photos on the last post so I will continue here.

Addressing the shut lines gap.

I measured the gap and followed the profile. I then cut and fiber glassed the join. I also used Paul L info of using an angled groove but I havent any photos.

I then used body filler on the gap and did the same for both sides.

My bonnet now sits like this.

On the righthand side of the bonnet I have a slight raise compared with the left.

This was quite easy to fix. I cant take the credit for it though as i was told how to do it. I also didnt take any photos so i will try to expain what was done.

The photo shows a blue line that is where i cut and removed a small sliver of the bonnet and kept nibbling at it include cutting the line longer. So that when i pulled the gap together it reduced the bulge.

Once I was happy with the alignment I joined the gap together with some plate and pop rivits and then fiber glassed from underneath the bonnet and grooved and body fillered the top of the bonnet. More preparation will be needed before painting, but for now it is fine and it will also show if I have any stresses still left in the join.

So That was a days work I haven't sorted the front lower mouth of the car out yet, but I am happy with the progress even if I am slowing it down by adding more work LOL The last two photos show the front lines of the Alpha. So more to follow as there will be part four of the Alpha bonnet.