View Single Post
Old 9th July 2007, 08:35
Kit Car Dreamer

Chris71 is on a distinguished road
Default What car for fun on a budget?

Hi,

Toying with the idea of getting another kit car (completed this time due to time/space restrictions!) The idea is it would be a fun car, mostly just for weekend use. I'd like to keep the price low (£3k or preferably less) something like a 7 clone would be quite good, but I'm open to suggestions. Emphasis is on fun factor and handling rather than outright pace (but that's good too! )

Ideas so far.....

My first thought was a Phaeton. I know these are a little primitive, but £2.5k would buy you a very well specced, highly developed example with something like a 2.0 zetec or a rover V8.

Next - equally ugly, but rather better engineered is the Sylva Leader. Suspect this would be a big step up in driving dynamics care of it's Jeremy Phillips designed chasis. Don't really know a huge ammount about them, but I gather most have the Fiat twincam and I've yet to find one that doesn't sit comfortably within my budget.

Locost - probably a book-built car to a relatively low spec for this price. How good are they?

Robin Hood - I'm told these go and handle rather like, well a Sierra? The ones I've seen look like fairly well finished cars, but a lot of people seem to slate them, why?

Vindicator Sprint - don't know a huge ammount else about these, aren't they Sierra based too?

Sylva Mojo - do they normally fit in this price range? Nice looking 4age based one in the classifieds.

Please let me know what you think of the above or any alternative ideas.

Last edited by Chris71; 9th July 2007 at 17:50.. Reason: I've since learnt to spell
Available from eBay