View Single Post
Old 1st June 2014, 20:19

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Sunday - Part 2:
After leaving this first batch of fibre glass work to dry for a bit, I came back and turned the arches over.

This allowed me to prepare the next round of patching the factory, and small rust, holes.

Before:

During:

After:

I was a little bit braver this time around and each patch actually has two layers of matting over the mesh.

I just made sure the second layer was bigger than the first to ensure a good overlap.

In addition, a short session with the "screwdriver of truth" discovered another hole under some seam sealer.

But this was fixed at the same time as the patches above.

Although, because of the curves involved, I only added a second layer to one edge of the first layer this time around.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While I left that lot to set, I carried on with a few odd jobs.

The first was to cut a couple of mini crush tubes.

Because when I fit the rear arches, the rear frame will sit on top of this section.

So the tubes will sit in here like so.

Then the "feet" for the rear frame can sit on top of the arches.

Well, that is my theory anyway.

I also bent the edges of the modified access panel to give me a tight fit.

All I need to do now is find the original fittings, which are in one of my many boxes.

Then I had a major grinding / sanding session on the fibreglass that had set previously on the "sunny side".

But I didn't get a photo as I turned the arches over to continue on the "under side".

Where I also cleaned up around the areas that I had patched earlier.

Then I mixed up some fibreglass filler and covered all the holes.

Then I did my final round of fibreglass work for the day to add a second layer of matting to the patches on this side.

This included the extension of the boot floor.

And the corner that I had used the insulating foam in.

All in all, a very productive day.

Take care, Paul.