View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:36

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave & Scottie - Thanks for the replies, all advice & tips are most welcome.

I've tried to be pretty good at cutting out / treating / repairing the rust as I go along.
I think I'm on my 3rd (or 4th) small bottle of Kurust and the treatment started when the body shell arrived.

I've dug these photos out from Mar.13 when I first started working on the arches.
All the bare metal you can see here was treated and a few more areas since.

And I was still topping up the Kurust a couple of weeks ago.

Having said that, I'd have to admit that I may have missed the odd spot here and there.

But, touch wood, I am think the vast majority of the remaining metal work is now pretty solid.

Although given my wholesale rebuilding of my bulkhead with new / recycled metal it does seem a shame to be using fibreglass.

However, I clearly need the practise before I pluck up the courage to 'glass the door skins to the body shell.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Consolidation Work:
Whilst I am working on many different areas of the arches at the moment, some sections are now complete.
( Other areas need extra fibreglass matting or some filler. )

So I took some time to finish tidying up the "sunny side".

Then put some primer on.

While that was drying I turned the arches over and sorted out the underneath.

The primer does make it easier to see the two main repairs to the arches.

You will note I made no attempt to continue the "edges" along the bottom of the wheel arch & just kept a smooth (ish) join instead.

I also primed the areas where filler was added to the underside of the mesh / fibreglass patches.

The foam covered area is also easier to see with the primer on.

Note:
I will clean up the resin "dribbles" later on, as I still want to add a bit of filler to this section.

End of Part 1.