View Single Post
Old 26th April 2017, 07:39

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Radius Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
That'll be Steve then ...I use him as well ...
Correctamundo! He supplied the engines, gearboxes and lots of other bits for both my Marlin Roadster and A352. Top bloke!

Monday and yesterday I tackled how I'm going to locate the forward ends of the radius arms. I originally intended to extend them forward to the centre outriggers as Micky1Mo did. However, these items popped up on Ebay so I bought them to see if they could be somehow adapted.

After a bit of head scratching I decided that adaption was possible and cut them down ready for base plates to be welded on. These will be bolted through the wood and GRP floor with a steel sandwich plate inside to minimise the possibility of their working the holes.

I made a cardboard template of the mounting plate - the triangular ears will be folded up before welding to provide resistance to the twisting moment. I might supplement this with a metal strap leading forward - belt and braces!

I dug out the radius arms and set to with replacing what looked like the original bushes. The bolts through the mounting brackets had to be cut out as they were rusted solid into the bush sleeves. I drove the old bushes out and the new ones in using the vice, bolt and socket method, after cleaning their housings with emery cloth and using plenty of dismantling fluid before assembly.

That was it for Tuesday. Once my demon welder 'phones to let me know my tank's ready I can whiz over and raid his skip for suitable bits of scrap for the above. Happy Days!

Regards, Mick