Thread: Sammio for sale
View Single Post
Old 25th November 2017, 06:43

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by softfeet View Post
How can you make sure that an incorrectly registered kit car is 'insured properly'? I'm just curious, and hope that nobody thinks that I am a 'troll'.

For example, imagine a Cobra replica with a purpose built ladder chassis and glassfibre bodywork that the builder had used on old Spartan V5 for to avoid the expense and expertise of going through IVA. Sadly, this sort of thing happens. Would it be insured as a Cobra replica or as a Spartan?

Does sending photos and spec to the insurance company make things OK?
Would it work with a non kit car? Could a Jaguar registered as a Metro be insured?
Stating the obvious, I know, but to be legal, car insurance is mandatory on public roads. Without it, if caught, a vehicle will be seized and crushed. Insurance companies aren't noted for their benevolence, to put it mildly. Any tiny inconsistency uncovered in the proposal will have the insurer rubbing gleeful hands in the event of a claim.

Sadly, it's not only the driver who stands to lose. I know I'd be mortified if I injured someone, even if blameless. If uninsured and blameworthy, apart from remorse in trumps, I'd be wide open to litigation. There are plenty of bloodsucking parasites (sorry, ambulance chasing injury lawyers) out there who love this sort of thing, it's their bread and butter. Loss of house? Possible. Bankruptcy? Possible.

Bottom line: honesty is the best policy!

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 25th November 2017 at 06:56..