View Single Post
Old 17th July 2012, 10:30

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Mr Towed , Oxford1360 - If you have no intention of selling then put yours on Ebay for £15,000 - £20,000 with a load of text describing the exquisite styling and noble heritage.

You won't get buyers but you might drive the price up for the others.

It worked for Zonda. Original price was £2-300,000 from memory but sales only really went up once he raised the price closer to the £1M
Yes, that's how it works sometimes. I did some management courses at Bristol University a few years back and the main lecturer also ran his own freelance business consultancy. One of the people he'd advised was an artist who wanted to sell his own work from a gallery, and who it was suggested should also act as an agent for other aspiring artists. A couple of the questions the artist had asked were 'how much do I charge for a piece of artwork?' and 'what do I do if it doesn't sell?' The answers were 'charge what you think someone might pay' and 'if it doesn't sell after a month, put it in the basement for a month then put it back on display for double what you were asking.' After a year in business the artist reported back that the gallery was doing well, but that he often had to double the price of a painting four or five times before someone would buy it.

I've tried this practice on ebay once or twice when something failed to sell - put the price up and pitch it again and it's worked just fine every time.

If I do ever decide to sell my Spyder it will be for a six figure sum.