View Single Post
Old 12th September 2018, 17:00

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I've worked in the oil & gas OEM supply chain for the last 10 years. I was involved in the building / fitting of bespoke pumping systems. You wouldn't believe the problems trying to recruit a good team of engineering fitters that were capable, qualified and had the inclination to do that sort of work. The days of apprenticeship trained lads in their 30's and 40's came to end about
5 - 10 years ago. I'm 52 myself and I feel I'm at the end of an era ! The upside is that my skills are a valuable commodity these days, they weren't until a few years ago, that goes for my car building hobby too. If you work your hours out for a build, even at a very modest £25 - 35 / hour there are plenty of people out there with the money to spend simply because they can't do it themselves or don't have the time or inclination.
For those ill informed people out there who think our cars are "just" kit cars I usually compare them to cars coming out of the nearby Morgan works. Every Morgan is hand built by a bunch of blokes in a few sheds under the Malvern Hills. They assembly and fettle the parts by hand into a completed, bespoke car. That will usually sway the argument !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 13th September 2018 at 08:48..