Thread: New project
View Single Post
Old 12th June 2016, 08:30

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Paul , thank you ...I like the ''racetrack refugee'' look too ...I have a real thing about kit cars that look like kitcars ....blinged up Cobra's that are so far away from anything they ever were etc.. I guess its the Hot Rodder in me that brought the Sammio ethos to the scene ....I like a recreation to set the seed of doubt in peoples minds ..that's just me though , not written in stone , we all do what WE want at the end of the day.
So , for me , tatty paint , used parts etc is an easy way to give a car 'age' ...

Paint prep is minimal on these as I am not looking to achieve the usual standard of finish .....

I go round the car filling anything necessary , leave star crazes and any gel wobbles alone , then a scotchpad is used to key the cars surface ...I prime with an aerosol any filler repairs so they dont soak through ( If you lay paint directly on filler , its very obvious ) ... I then use rattle can bright silver to just puff a bit on any areas that I might want to rub back ...this is so silver shows through rather than white gel in some areas giving the suggestion of an ally body , kind of . I usually do what I would consider to be obvious wear areas ...some faked patina takes it too far and wear is created in too symmetrical a fashion sometimes ...I do both cockpit sides where a driver/ passenger has climbed in and put their arm whilst travelling hundreds of times , usually a few knocks on the nose and tail , a bit near the filler cap and on tops of front wings where people lean and sit as well as being a high flat spot for natural weathering and polishing through ...
The photo's dont show mine very well ..I'll take better ones later ...but cockpit and wingtops is predominantly all I have done here ...I weathered Marios car heavier if you look at his picture of him sat in the car ...

I use 2k paint base coat , no clearcoat ..so a satin type finish straight from the gun . This was then touched in with a different shade of aerosol , one shade out , in places and a couple of red oxide spots around the grille ..its a Honda colour and really suits the car ...

Number plates and pegasus logos are stickers , pegasus ones t-cutted back a bit ...
I had stencils cut for the roundalls , numbers , Carrera Panamericana wing signage and the sponsorship signage on the rear , these were painted using a graffiti paint aerosol as it dries fast , covers well and is a matt finish .. then the whole car was t-cutted with t-cut and wire wool , which on fresh 2k makes it patchy and gave the signwriting some age too ... I blew a little touch in on the roundall and leant on it before it dried on the rear deck as well

couple of 'careless scratches' in a few places and thats it really ...
Whole process ....an hour and a half to prep and paint and about two and a half hours to detail ...best bit ....you really can't get it wrong like a normal paint job , if you dont like an area you are playing with ...blow a bit of colour back on and start again !!

I know its not a look for everyone , but I like it and its fun being creative ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 12th June 2016 at 08:41..