View Single Post
Old 17th August 2014, 11:19
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter

There is at least one Sportster owner running an M52B28, and possibly a second.
Al Barnes came to Stoneleigh in his immaculate Blue Sportster sporting an M52B28 which he has driven around Nurburgring - so he certainly is not stuck in limp mode. I have no idea of his contact details, but he must be an MOC member, so you could try to track him down via the Mem Sec.?

Cameron Mitchell is also going down the M52B28 route, but whether he has got his engine running, and been able to test whether it will deliver top speeds I don't know.
Maybe if he's tuned in he will let us know?

The ebay advert has not moved the current position on: the caveat says he can not carry out the necessary deletes to allow the transfer of an MS42 or 43 into a non OBD11 chassis.

Interestingly Adem Ergen at Ergen Motorsports claims he can re-write an MS43 ECU to allow an M54B30 to run in an E30, or E36 chassis. I have put down a £200 deposit and provided him with an MS43 ECU plus M54 harness which he says he will use to demonstrate an M54B30 running in an E30 mule, or engine cradle.

Having said that it was 3 months ago, and I am still waiting! A couple of days ago he responded saying he would do it over the next 4-6 weeks. I am not in a hurry so am prepared to wait until the end of September to find out.

I particularly want to go down the route of installing a fully functioning M54B30, as they develop significantly more torque (221 lbs) at much lower rpm (3500) than my M50TUB25 (181lbs at 4200rpm): better still the curve is much flatter and wider than the M50
For a road car Torque is more important to me as I do not like screaming engines that have to be constantly revved hard to get the performance.
Although my M50TUB25 is better since I refurbished the Vanos, it is noticeable how the performance really kicks in above 3,500rpm. From the dyno charts I've seen the M54B30 will easily out perform it, with its wide flat torque kicking in at around 2,000rpm. And the icing on the cake is the fuel economy should be at least as good, if not better.

If Ergen fail to deliver on their promise (he offered a money back guarantee) I will still swap the M54B30 into my Cabrio and initially run it on the M50's electronics using single on/off Vanos. There is a known proven route to do this. It will not develop its full potential, but the additional cube will still give a lot more torque, and even without DISA working will still deliver it lower down than the M50's inlet manifold allows.

The long game is that the engine will be in place ready to convert to an MS43 ECU and run twin variable Vanos and DISA if a proper solution is ever made available to the general public.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Well, 4 years on and it now looks like you can get EWS deleted on an MS42 ECU for the M52TU engines now on ebay!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-EWS-3-...item233eacaa13

But it does come with the following warning....

"Please note, for an engine transplant into a different chassis without the same electronic subsystems that the ECU expects, the ecu will run in safe mode and a EWS delete is not enough for such a transplant."

So it may still not be a complete solution to using the dual Vanos M52/M54 engines.

It has also raised a concern that I need an ABS delete for my MS41 ECU to stop it running in 'safe mode'?

Is there anyone on here that is running an MS41 ECU without an ABS delete?

....peter