View Single Post
Old 15th October 2013, 11:32

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I finally got round to putting my Spyder on the weighbridge this morning thanks to the guys at my local VOSA testing station, which just happens to be under a mile from my house

It came in a little heavier than I expected at 780kgs (with a full tank). The weight distribution is rather front biased, as you'd expect, with 530kgs over the front axle and 250 over the rear, giving something like 70%/30% front to rear. With me in it my weight all goes over the back axle giving around 60/40, and with another adult passenger aboard it would be about 55/45. It certainly doesn't feel unwieldy on the road, it grips and turns with real precision although it's quite easy to light up the back tyres if you choose to.

Obviously my great big cast iron six weighs about 200kgs on its own, so a four cylinder model without the modern fripperies I've added - brake servo; wireless; heater; steel spreader plates/armour under the seats - should come in at around the 680 to 700kg mark.

And just to prove that the sun always shines when you're driving a Spyder, here's a pic of my car parked outside the gym this morning -

I sure am glad I fitted a heater though.