View Single Post
Old 31st October 2015, 11:02

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys. VW and emissions.... As long as my exhaust smoke is on the right side of black i'm happy, if that counts?

And on that note; the marquee is down, the camper moved and I've finally managed to get the car out and sorted ready in time for the Classic car and restoration show at the Bath & West showground next weekend.

Sadly the excitement was short lived as my first run-out resulted in a weird smell which turned out to be a leaking rear gearbox seal dripping oil onto the exhaust! So a quick order was placed with Rimmers last weekend and the new seal cost about a fiver all in!

When I was building the car I left access hatches for bits I may commonly want to tinker with, but I also tried to fit the interior panels so that I could remove certain ones to get to certain whole 'areas' should the need ever arise.

Well that was the theory!
And luckily it turned out to be a good one in practice

Left-middle gearbox tunnel panel removed on the passenger side and I had direct access to the gearbox flange and coupling (whoo hoo - I love it when a plan comes together!)

A quick read of the Club Triumph forums and I found an article by a local Triumph owner about how to change the seal in situ using a locking bar and the original bolts.

With the driveshaft cable-tied out of the way, the procedure was a doddle even after a long day at work!

And the offending nearly fifty yr old bit of rubber!

And then this morning I woke up to clear skies and a lovely warm October day so I thought it was time to see if it was just that seal causing the issues, or a bigger problem (which would normally be my luck)

A quick run-out seemed to indicate all was good, so I decided to go for it and finally venture up Cheddar Gorge for the photos i'd been promising myself to take ever since I started this project.

30 miles of barrelling around the Mendips later and still no oil leak, so job well done

So now i'm all set for next weekends end-of-year show and I hope to see some of you there?

Last edited by davecymru; 31st October 2015 at 11:07..