Thread: wire wheels
View Single Post
Old 24th October 2013, 08:41

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikon246 View Post
hi again
thanks for all the infp,here we go i have decided to use 14inch mgb wheels//
so that said can any one advise me the best tyre size? 165x14?...175x70x14? or whats the best size....................thanks clive ikon 246
That's very much down to personal taste and what will fit your specific chassis/bulkhead. A number of factors come into play: the adaptors add a couple of inches to the track width over the bolt on thirteens, and the MGB wheels and tyres are substantially larger than the Triumph steels. To give some idea of the difference, here's a shot of a 165/80/14 next to a 165/80/13 -

After doing loads of measuring and head scratching I decided I was going to need to move my bulkhead back to get anything much bigger than 165/13's to fit, so I redrilled the mounting holes and moved it back 20mm -

This allowed me to fit 175/70/14's without them fouling, although with the 95mm lowered front springs I used I still had to bash the bulkhead in a bit to stop the scuffing the paint off it -

Taken in isolation, I like the look of the 175/70/14's - nobody's ever said 'hang on a minute, those tyres don't look right....'

But when I park my car next to Phil and Barry's, which both wear 175/80/14's, I feel like the kid wearing monkey boots who's mates all have Doc Marten's on (bit of 70's fashion culture for those too young to remember).

It might look like a subtle difference - the sidewall is 1.75cm taller on the 80 profile tyres - but it stands out to me.

So, I've now raised the suspension a fair bit, both to give better (some!) ground clearance and to allow taller tyres to fit, and I now plan to try some 175/80/14's. It'd probably be easier to fit 165/80/14's, which would only add 0.95cms to the sidewall height compared to what's already fitted, but there's very limited availability of that size now, with only a couple of nasty budget brands or Vredestein Sprint Classics at £125 per corner on the market (they would look good though).

The 175/80/14 size, however, is standard fit on just about all base model VW Golfs and the equivalent Skoda and Seat models, so there's loads of choice at reasonable prices, with Dunlops, Continentals and Firestones all available for less than £70 each fitted.

http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search

I hope the above helps you decide what to go for. Good luck!