Thread: F 275gtb/z3
View Single Post
Old 27th July 2015, 07:42

Kit 275GTB is on a distinguished road
Default 275 / Z3 return to progress

Hi All,
First of all, a big thank you to all those who sent me PMs and emails wishing a speedy return to full health. I haven't been idle while being laid up and have done a lot of thinking.
So, Plan B: I have abandoned the concept of retaining the Z3 one piece lift up bonnet and wings because I thought it deviated too much from the spirit of the 275. It does mean that some maintenance points (brake fluid, windscreen washer etc) will have to be accessed via fuel filler type flaps unfortunately. I will post photos when I have got something to show.
In answer to a specific question, I also thought it appropriate to post a photoshop comparison of the Mercedes SLK and the 275 profiles to show why I abandoned the SLK as a donor. Although It has the right wheelbase (in R170 model years) and the configuration looked about right, I was daunted by the prospect of removing the screen and surround and fabricating a replacement. (A replacement screen for the 275 is available for the the 275 - if you don't mind the £1500 price tag.) When Bertini and Tribute Automotive showed how easy it was to remove the Z3 body panels and avoid the IVA, I decided to follow their lead. Maybe next time....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 275 and SLK outlines.jpg (88.2 KB, 130 views)