View Single Post
Old 15th February 2017, 22:39

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I was thinking that the bonnet was very "E-Type" looking and that a set of vents would finish it off very nicely. However GRP vents always look very heavy and are a bugger to get right because of the openings. Far better to let in some metal vents cut out from a metal clothes locker. You could always lay that section of the bonnet up a little thicker to let the vents be flush mounted. It also lets the customer have the final choice and most importantly, saves you a ton of work.
Other vents will always be to a customers taste so could be supplied loose as an optional extra.

Bonnet opening could be a problem on the trailing edge, could see the lower rear corner catching the bulkhead. Could perhaps do with an old BMW 3 or 5 series bonnet hinge, when they unlatch they push the bonnet forward 3 inches before you lift them. On the E-Type you have the hinge at the front but also have locking catches at the rear as well, bit fiddly but it worked. Also you need some way of adjusting the hinges. I had my E-tpe painted and removed the bonnet. All the shims were carefully packed so they would go back exactly the same. No modifications were made to the bonnet but it took days to get it sitting and gapped properly.

Looking good, love the lines of the boot, give plenty of room for the spare as it will probably be fitted on a dark,cold and very wet night so will be done in a hurry. You wouldn't want to damage the paint.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 15th February 2017 at 22:50..